Monday 29 September 2014

The Untamable Indian Woman

Yes, I am the one
The untamable, the un-trainable,
The one that got away,
The one you couldn’t discipline,
The one that did not listen,
To your billion year old tradition
Rather came up with her own mission
The mission to live life on her own terms
To spend every second the way she wants.

 You call me a control freak because you can’t control me.
You hate my wings, my ambitions.
You scare me with monsters in clothes of men
That threaten to rape, molest and harass,
Well guess what, you can’t do that any more
Cause men are now in my class.
They love me like a daughter and care for me like a brother,
And others just admire the woman that I am
Like a companion, a partner, a lover, a human.
You can’t force them to train me,
Surprise- surprise they hate you now more than ever
You can’t preach them to chain me.

Yup, I am guilty of living a life
Guilty of spitting in the face of patriarchy,
Save your BS male guardianship to yourself
I got no time for malarkey.

My best friends are not gold or diamond,
I believe in real people, who care,
Diamonds don’t hold hands or give hugs
People will always be there.

I used to believe in sacrifice and love,
Now I believe in dating more
I am not letting you ‘arrange’ my marriage
And dump a husband on me, I don’t adore.

Beware; I am not your ‘slim, tall, beautiful, fair’ girl
That you look for in your crappy ‘pick a spouse catalogue’,
I look messy, love cakes and don’t cook everyday
And I do love a healthy intellectual dialogue.

I am not changing my surname for any god damn reason,
I’m not quitting my entire life to wash your laundry,
Some call me selfish; some call me a bitch,
I call it being too smart for paltry.

A woman can move the earth, fly in the sky, run marathons, and dive in the oceans,
Kick, punch and compose and create and define, and encourage
But you only let her wash and clean and cook and shut up,
In the name of the holy institution of marriage.

Why is that? Why must she stay indoors?
Are you scared she will do everything better than you?
If not, let her live her life, her way
And see what happens, I dare you.

With love
From ‘the Untamable Indian Woman’


No comments:

Post a Comment